Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Review: DARKEST DAY by Emi Gayle

I'm the luckiest girl in the world!!!  Yes I am!!!  Yessiree bob, I sure the heck am!
"Why?" you ask.
Well, because Emi Gayle (aka Aimee Laine) --my favoritest author-- 
gave me an early copy of Darkest Day!!!!!
**major fangirl squeal**
Yes, I got to read The 19th Year #3 over 6 months before it's out!!!
Wow-wow-holy-cow!!!
You know how much I LOVED Book 1, After Dark (Five Stars)
and totally and completely freaked over Book 2, Day After (Six Stars)
(just click on their titles to see my rants)
and I got to see what happens to Mac and Winn 
and
 I NOW KNOW WHAT MAC CHOOSES!!!!
But I'm not telling, no way, no how. **evil grin**

Soooooo.... wanna know what I thought???
Well, unlike my regular reviews, I don't have cover art yet 
(well, I can't SHOW it to yet, in any case -- come back June 17th for that)
and the blurb I can share isn't even the official blurb,
but boy is this book ROCKIN'!!!!






Mackenzie Thorne's life ends in less than a year — when she turns 19. Or it begins. One of the two. She's not sure which anymore, not since Winn Thomas made her last year as a Changeling one for the unwritten history books.

Book 3 - Told from Mac and Winn's perspectives

Cover and blurb reveal June 17th!


Expected publication: January 6th, 2014  


Genre:  YA Urban Fanstasy
Publisher Type: Small Print/Indie
My Rating:  *  *  *  *  *  * 
(yes, another 6 star for this series!!!)

My Review:

So I cannot even begin to tell you how excited I was to read this book; I've loved the series from the first chapter of book one and I was totally, completely, twitching-in-my-seat DYING to know how this impossible situation was going to play out.  You know that Mac doesn't play by the rules and she keeps jarring the expectations of the establishment (everyone wants to be THAT cool), but how in the world was she going to make it all work out?!?!  Well, I spent two days, pretty sleep deprived, glued to my Kindle because this is one crazy, roller coaster of a ride!

This is such an emotional book.  After the first book from Mac's perspective and the second from Winn's, we get to hop back and forth between their perspectives and experience it all.  These two are such unique characters and I can't say I warmed to either of them at the start of the series, but by the beginning of book 3, they both had wedged themselves firmly into my heart.  Mac and Winn were tormented by this decision that had to be made and it seemed completely impossible.  There's also something incredibly sad that happens in this book.  Obviously, I won't tell you what, but I read this part in a doctor's office waiting room, just trying my best not to ball like a baby.  If you read Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy series where Rose is with Dimitri's family after his death --yeah, just like that-- soooooo deeply sad, but not in that sappy, over the top, drama-y way.

Even with all this emotion going wild, there's tons of action and mystery to this novel.  Things are happening and new questions abound; a foe rises up from an unexpected place.  There's lots of incomplete answers from the previous books rearing their ugly heads with their need for completion.  I truly cannot get over how much Emi Gayle was able to weave into this trilogy without it getting overwhelming.  Wow, just wow.

The conclusion of Darkest Day was everything for which a girl like me could ask.  Much like the TV series LOST, the 19th Year series had a whopping amount of mystery to be unraveled; unlike LOST, Darkest Day completely satisfied all my curiosity.  I'm amazed by the ending, the choice Mac makes, how it all works out.  This was a total jump and down, hug my Kindle moment.  Such character growth!  Such plot twists!  Such fun!  I did actually guess what Mac would choose (totally a random guess), but had no idea how even her choosing what she did would give her that happy ending.  And then it all came together perfectly.  I cried I was so happy!

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Just ... wow. I'm not really sure what else to say at all. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, yup. I'm one of the lucky recipients, too, and totally agree. :o)

    ReplyDelete