Thursday, March 14, 2013

Review: River's Recruit by Charlotte Abel

 
Jonathan McKnight lost everything in Afghanistan. His left hand, his identical twin and his self-respect. He searches for redemption during a solo backpacking trip into the remote Sawatch Mountains of Colorado and discovers a secret tribe of shifters.

River, the beautiful young shifter that rescues Jonathan from certain death, wants to recruit him. He is equally determined to rescue her from her cult-like society — even if he has to kidnap her.

Genre: NA Urban Fantasy/PNR (sweet)
Publisher Type: Indie
My Rating: *  *  *  *

My Review:

River's Recruit is an incredibly engaging read.  Make sure you clear your schedule before picking this one up!  The story just flows so smoothly; you are immediately drawn in and there's just not a single place where your attention is not magnetized to it!  

The world-building is so very spot on!  Abel develop's River's world with so much detail and depth but without ever boring the reader with any sort of information dump.  River and Jonathon are great main characters.  You like them without any reserve; cheering them on as they overcome their personal tragedies (and though serious, the drama never becomes overbearing).  But where the real character gems lie is with the supporting cast.  I loved River's adoptive family!!!  There's just so much to this book in both story and character!

My one and only complaint, and it's a big one, is the ending.  It's not so much of a cliff hanger as a "to be continued" with little conflict resolution to be had.  I was downright angry when I realized no more story was to be had (granted a 2nd late night of reading may have made me a bit grumpy).  I'm okay with cliff hangers when the main conflict of the book has a reasonable resolution, but we are totally left hanging.  If there'd been a few more chapters, maybe coming to where "Look to the East in your darkest hour for a humble man to to rise to power" comes to pass (yup, no spoilers here).

Regardless of my wish for a more conclusive conclusion, I really enjoyed this read and CANNOT wait to find out what happens next!  


Cover Art:

I'd give this cover a B.  It has great imagery; I love River here!  Her pose adds mystery and movement to the piece.  Where the cover falls a bit short for me is the type face.  The white doesn't quite pop enough, especially with the series title.  It just needs an extra oomph.

Buy it:

You can purchase River's Recruit on Amazon.

I also loved Charlotte's YA Fantasy book, Enchanment (see my review here).
Stop by her Amazon page to purchase more of her great work!

And don't forget to add some of those fab books to your Goodreads TBR.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the great review! (And the advice)

    River's Recruit is getting a new cover soon. I love this one, but it has more of a "fantasy" feel to it instead of paranormal romance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to see the new cover and to read the next book. I love the way you tell a story!

      Delete