Saturday, January 12, 2013

Review: Bitter Frost and Wolf Fey by Kailin Gow




All her life, Breena had always dreamed about fairies as though she lived among them...beautiful fairies living among mortals and living in Feyland.

In her dreams, he was always there the breathtakingly handsome but dangerous Winter Prince, Kian, who is her intended. When Breena turns sixteen, she begins seeing fairies and other creatures mortals don't see. Her best friend Logan suddenly acts very protective.

Then she sees Kian, who seems intent on finding her and carrying her off to Feyland. That's fine and all, but for the fact that humans rarely survive a trip to Feyland, a kiss from a fairy generally means death to the human unless that human has fairy blood in them or is very strong, and although Kian seemed to be her intended, he seems to hate her and wants her dead.


Genre:  YA Fantasy
Publisher Type:  Indie
My Rating:  *  *  *

My Review:
So I have mixed feeling on this one.  On the positive, I love the poetic descriptions; it's almost poetry without being slow.  The wording is simply beautiful (reminding me Maggie Stiefvater).  I enjoyed the characters.  I can't say they were terribly deep, but they were enjoyable.  Though  Bitter Frost seems STRONGLY inspired by Iron Knight and Need, it has it's own intriguing premise.  No doubt when dealing with mythology and folklore,  similarities are just part of the territory.

So onto the less-than-positives.  The story line is a bit predictable and has a very standard love triangle. I also felt like there's a lot missing details.  I was left wondering things like "What did Breena wear all the time she and Kian were were holed up?" and "What happened to being shot in the leg?"  I think a good story editor could really be used here.  Then there's the ending.  The ending really did this book in for me.  There's so little conflict resolution; it feels more like to book just stops with a "to be continued" tag on the end.  I did like the epilogue; it was expected, but not unwelcomed.

Overall, Bitter Frost is an enjoyable read, but I find myself disappointed because this could be an epic read with a little more grooming.

Cover Art:
I could not resist reading this one based on cover alone!!!  It's so freaking amazing !



Shifter Fairies - fairies who can shift into wolf shape.

Introduced in Silver Frost (Frost #3) about the Wolf Fey, this Frost novelette is Logan’s open and raw story before Bitter Frost (Frost #1) and a hint of his destiny. Will it be with Breena?

My Rating: *

My Review:
The Wolf Fey gives us some needed background on Logan and occurs right before Bitter Frost takes place.

This short story is really rough, having the feeling of being just thrown together.  The story itself is okay, but not really gripping.  The worst offense is that so much of this story doesn't line up with the opening events of Bitter Frost.

Cover Art:  I do like this cover.  The stars are beautiful.  I would have kept the author's name is the same color and font as the the title, but otherwise an excellent cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment