Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Review: The Earth Painter by Melissa Lee




When a self-conscious young woman discovers the boy in drama class is actually the immortal who painted the world into being, she becomes the target of another painter who hates humanity.



The Earth Painter is a Young Adult Supernatural Romance set in the small mill town of Chesnee, SC. It revolves around Holly Scruggs, whose family has just moved back to Chesnee after her dad lost his job along with pretty much everything they owned. Her image conscious parents correct her to the point of brokenness until she meets Theo. He is the artist responsible for all the beauty of the land and he thinks Holly is beautiful too. Together they will fight against Fritz, the water painter who hates humans and is hiding a secret under the high school.

Genre: YA Urban Fantasy
Publisher Type:  Independent Publisher
My Rating:  *  *  *  *  *  * (Yup, 6 out of 5!!!!)

My Review:
So technically you can only give a book 5 stars, but when a book leaves you breathless, astounded, speechless ... to the point it takes you two weeks to write a review because you can't quite put together coherent thoughts on the book ... well, then it ought to get 6 stars.  so that's what I'm giving it.

As to why this book has so profoundly affected me?  I've read other amazing stories.  And this is indeed an amazing story.  But this book touched me on a soul deep level without being one of those "boring, all drama, someone dies at the end" type of book (you should know I hate those type of books).

The Earth Painter has such a unique and creative premise.  I've not read ANYTHING like it (and I read crazy amounts of YA fantasies).  The world Melissa Lee creates in The Earth Painter  is ingenious, just truly inspired!

Within this phenomenal world, she develops engaging, well-rounded characters.  I liked, felt for, and immediately connected with Holly.  I hurt for her as she struggled to gain her parents unachievable approval (been there, done that) and cheered for her as she realized she didn't need it (took me a heck of a lot longer).  Then, when she painted with Theo and felt that incredible sensation of artistic inspiration flowing through her, I was all "I so know that feeling!!!"  When she acted on stage and felt the freedom of becoming the character in that moment, yeah, I know that feeling, too.  There's not a more perfectly connectable character for me than Holly.

Add Theo in the mix next.  Theo is a remarkable character; just so beautiful a person!  I didn't know what to think of him and couldn't imagine how things would work out in the end.  The things he says to Holly; the pure emotion in how he shows Holly the beauty he sees in her.  Wow.  Goosebumps.  Just, wow.  

Then the conflict and mystery and what happens at the end ... YOU MUST READ THIS BOOK!!!  A note about the end ... how do you feel about cliff hangers?  This book closes with a delicious one!  One major conflict is resolved while a second, not-so-much; it definitely leaves you thirsting for more!  Luckily the next and final book, The Man Painter, just came out last month.  

Cover Art:
I could never express clearly enough how much I love a good cover!!!  Especially one that accurately portrays the character and story within.  Yay!!!  This is such well done example of what cover art should be.  **Happy Sigh**

Get your copy:
Find this amazing read on Amazon or Barnes & Noble.
Don't forget to add it to you Goodread's TBR!

No comments:

Post a Comment