Thursday, October 18, 2012

Blog Tour: The Lost Immortals by KaSonndra Leigh



Welcome to my stop on the Lost Immortals: When Copper Suns Fall tour!!!
I've got loads of awesomeness to share with you.  Today you'll get to hear
about this unique novel, my thoughts on it, get to know the author 
and read about her musical inspiration!

So lets get started!  Let's first get to know the book...

It has been fifty-five years since the angels of the Apocalyptic War attempted to wipe out humanity. Now a new nation has been built where alchemy is forbidden, and angels fear for their lives as they hide among the mortals. 

The city’s leaders share one view on the ancestors of angels: shoot first, no questions. 

When her twin brother falls into a strange coma, sixteen-year-old Chela Prizeon vows to discover her role among these exiles, the royal angels known as the Lost Immortals. 

Chela’s only hope lies with the mysterious, but infuriating leader of a rebel group. But can she trust this boy, someone who can control her dreams and her heart. 

Escape into a world filled with celestial creatures, fascinating villainy, high-stake choices, and forbidden romance.

Genre:  YA Dystopian/Fantasy
Publisher Type:  Small Print/Indy
My Rating:  *  *  *

My Review:

I'm very hot and cold on this book.  On one hand, the story is compelling.  I was intrigued and captivated by the story itself.  On the other hand, the actual telling of the story fell a bit flat for me.

I loved the premise of this book.  I was crazy intrigued and the cover just had me hooked.  The book has many solid characters with depth.  I did think that several players were overly manic and not all their actions fit their character.  I did connect well with Chela and felt eager to see her story play out.

My biggest complaint is the choppy writing.  Again, a bit of hot and cold here.  Our author is very poetic and I thought she beautifully expresses parts of the story, but many times the "poetic-ness" just gets in the way of my understanding what's happening.  While I LOVE when an author unfolds a mystery throughout the book, The Lost Immortals left me with disjointed details that are never clearly laid out.  There's so many extra elements (cursed pirates?!? mysterious hair streaks?!?) that it felt like the author was just trying to add all her favorite fantasy references.  Rather than sprinkle in important details throughout the book, oftentimes things were only mentioned when they became relevant; this made such details feel "pulled out of nowhere" (ex. Chela speaks of Micah's theories 3/4 through the book only when she finds out he was right).

Regardless of these issues, overall The Lost Immortals was an enjoyable read and I am looking forward to the sequel.

Cover Art:
I cannot get enough of this cover!!!  It's freakin' awesome!  So very pretty, unique and the color palate is so very fitting!!!

Meet the author:


KaSonndra Leigh was born in Charlotte, North Carolina. She now lives in the City of Alchemy and Medicine, North Carolina. She likes to write about people doing fantastical things in magical worlds. Her two sons have made her promise to write a boy book next.

She holds the MFA in creative writing, and loves to play CLUE, Monopoly (the Indiana Jones version), and Pandora's Box (good writer's block therapy). She lives in an L-shaped house with a garden dedicated to her grandmother. It has a secret library complete with fairies,
Venetian plastered walls, and a desk made out of clear blue glass.

Get to know her better at...
Official Author website: http://www.kasonndraleigh.com
Twitter: (She tweets A LOT) http://twitter.com/kasonndraleigh
Lost Immortals Facebook: http://facebook.com/kasonndraleighbooks
Hacienda Moon facebook page: http://facebook.com/kasonndraleighbookspage
Hacienda Moon on Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/alestasia/hacienda-moon/
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13038786-hacienda-moon

A guest post from the KaSonndra:

First I’d like to say thank you Danielle for allowing me this opportunity to visit your wonderful blog. Readers and bloggers have been so kind to me during this adventure. I can’t wait to share the story behind the music on my website, the heart of When Copper Suns Fall. I think every author has some kind of motivation technique when crafting a scene. For me, it’s about taking the essence of the novel as a whole when writing a scene. And to do that without losing sight of the story elements, I use music. Copper Suns is a cross-genre novel. It is pretty much a dark urban fantasy, but with heavy dystopian elements. So I listened to music that put me in the mood. 

Here’s a list of seven songs that very much influenced my writing process:

Furious Angels by Rob Dougan

Faris’s Song - Kind of goes without saying. But the song is about a guy who loses his fiancée in a car accident. He makes a promise to her passing spirit that if she goes away, then his furious angels will find her and bring her back to him. Unfortunately, I can’t say too very much about what scene this was relevant to and why. But when you read the book, you’ll automatically know which one it relates to.

Who Am I Living For? By Katy Perry

Chela’s Song- If you’ve heard Katy Perry’s heavy base and hard beats coupled with some pretty haunting lyrics, then you’ll understand why this is Chela’s song.

Teardrop by Massive Attack

Chela’s song- One suggestion. Watch the video trailer and then listen to the song.

Bring Me to Life by Evanescence

A song that always assisted me with focusing on the core being of my character Seth Alton. Listening to the words on this one tells you so much about him.

My Immortal by Evanescence
Kind of goes without saying again. And I truly don’t want to ruin the story by talking too much about this one. So, I’ll let my readers listen to the song and place it with the right scene when reading.

Uprising by Muse

An overall feel for the dystopian nature behind the book. This one covers the entire series as well.

Paint the Sky with Stars by Enya

Okay. So there’s a romantic element in the story if you haven’t guessed by now. And this song is so pretty and light. There’s a scene in the book where you’ll be able to picture lying there and listening to this song in the background. Ahhh. LoL. All right, giving out too much information.

You can listen to all of these songs on my website. Two of them (Furious Angels and Teardrop) have been removed for some reason. But you can listen to them on Amazon and tons of other places. I do hope you enjoy reading the world I’ve created in When Copper Suns Fall. Once again, I’d like to thank Danielle for hosting me on her site today.

Listen to the music here: http://kasonndraleigh.com/id25.html


Updated buy links: Amazon Barnes & Noble 



Take a Visual Tour at: http://pinterest.com/alestasia/the-lost-immortals/


*Disclosure of Material Connection: I am a member of Reading Addiction Blog Tours and a copy of this book was provided to me by the author. 
Although payment may have been received by Reading Addiction Blog Tours, no payment was received by me in exchange for this review. There was no obligation to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are entirely my own and may not necessarily agree with those of the author, publisher, publicist, or readers of this review. This disclosure is in accordance with the Federal Trade Commision’s 16 CFR, Part 255, Guides Concerning Use of Endorcements and Testimonials in Advertising*

3 comments:

  1. wow! Ive never heard of this book before, but I agree that the cover is AMAZING!!
    I love it!!
    The book sounds pretty good... other than the choppiness.
    Ill add it to my TBR list!! :)

    BTW- Im a new follower via GFC, please come check me out over at my BLOG if you get the chance, and maybe follow me back?
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I'm on my way to your site right now :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Danielle,

    Thanks for taking the time to read and review my book. I hope the sequel answers some of your questions.

    All the best,
    KaSonndra Leigh

    ReplyDelete