Sunday, September 2, 2012

Review: Little White Lies by Aimee Laine


Little White Lies (Mimics of Rune #1)

When the government needs a body double for a covert operation, they hire shape-shifter Charley Randall. For two centuries, she’s played every part from foreign dignitary to office drone. The role she wants most, though, is one she’s denied herself three times already.

FBI Agent Wyatt Moreland believes Charley’s photographic memory is the key to his latest assignment. He’s oblivious to the true extent of her abilities, but he can’t deny the sense of déjà vu at their introduction.

Unlike Wyatt, Charley knows this isn’t their first meeting.

It’s their fourth.

The girl he vowed to love, sixteen years before, stands in front of him in her true form - one he’ll never recognize.

With each reconnection, Charley loves him more, though she realizes this is her last chance to explain. Only absolute truth can bring them happiness, but can Wyatt forgive her deceptions? Or will lies tear them apart forever?

Genre:  Paranormal Romance, Romantic Suspense
Publisher Type:  Small Press
My Rating: *  *  *  *  *

My Review:
And I thought I loved Aimee Laine's work before?!?  Little White Lies blew me away!!!  You might know from my review of Hide and Seek, that Aimee Laine's gift for verbalizing beautiful romance leaves me speechless ... and breathless!!!  The love she is able to describe is pure fairy-tale and sweeps you off your feet.

Her leading ladies are the consummate balance of tough yet tender, confident yet unsure, world-wise yet unjaded.  I love Charley.  Loyal and brave, she's the perfect protagonist.  Wyatt is truly melt-worthy; he's heroic, smart and honorable.  The entire book is populated with amazing, well-developed protagonists.  You care about the whole cast, not merely the mcs, and I suspect each of these players to have the spot light in future installments. 

The world building is perfect.  I love the creativity that has gone into developing these human shape shifters called Mimics.  The Mimic history and personal histories of the characters were expertly unfolded throughout the book adding the the mystery and suspense.  Instead of a big information dump early in the book, details are slowly woven into the story, developing the readers understanding throughout.

Little White Lies is crazy-cram-packed with action, suspense and mystery.  When there's people out there who can completely change themselves into another person, who can you trust?  I was sure everyone was really a bad guy in disguise.  I was a little frustrated that our group of Mimics weren't near as concerned as I was about this.  I felt overall the antagonists and their motives could have been better developed (especially a certain guy).  Nonetheless, I was satisfied with the conclusion as it played out.

I'm super excited to read Surrender, book 2 in this series, which is out tomorrow.  I have the arc sitting on my kindle for when I finish typing this post.  Tomorrow be sure to stop by to meet Aimee Laine and have an opportunity to win your own copy of Surrender.  Meanwhile, stop by J. Taylor Publishing's site to pick up Little White Lies, because you really want to read this right now!!!

Cover Art:
I'm struck bu the straight forward, simplicity of this cover.  The clean lines, monochromatic hues and use of shadows all work in perfect harmony.

4 comments:

  1. If you loved LWL, then Surrender is going to totally rock your world. It's seriously awesome. Hurry up and read it so I can see what you think. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Instead of a big information dump early in the book, details are slowly woven into the story, "

    Can I just say that this made my day? I really get reamed by some reviews about how I write because I think so many *like* the info dumping, but I just can't do it! Even as a reader, I love the mystery behind learning little tidbits all the way through, so this one line captures my heart like no other! Thank you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the tidbits of information sprinkled throughout perfect. Just enough to keep me from being too confused, but not enough to completely sate my curiosity until the end. I'm only a few chapters in to Surrender, but I'm super excited to see what happens :)

      Yay for good books!!!

      Delete
  3. Wow, this book sounds beautiful. I love reading a story where the author doesn't dump all the information on the reader all at once. It keeps me a lot more interested slowly learning everything, and I'm glad to hear that the history of Mimics is woven into the story well, it sounds like something that could be hard to do. Great review Danielle!! :D

    ReplyDelete