Saturday, August 11, 2012

Review: What Kills Me by Wynne Channing


 
An ancient prophecy warns of a girl destined to cause the extinction of the vampire race.

So when 17-year-old Axelia falls into a sacred well filled with blood and emerges a vampire, the immortal empire believes she is this legendary destroyer. Hunted by soldiers and mercenaries, Axelia and her reluctant ally, the vampire bladesmith Lucas, must battle to survive.

How will she convince the empire that she is just an innocent teenager-turned bloodsucker and not a creature of destruction? And if she cannot, can a vampire who is afraid of bugs summon the courage to fight a nation of immortals?

Genre:  YA/New Adult Urban Fantasy
Publisher Type:  Indie
My Rating:  *  *  *  *  *

My Review:
This was such a great read!!!  **happy squeals**  This was crazy hard to put down, the action just hits you from get get-go.  We barely meet Axelia, whose friends call her Zee, before she meets a mysterious and quite yummy looking stranger, but all is not what it seems.  Then like tsunami waves, the action just keeps coming.  Insane crap keeps happening to this girl, she just CANNOT catch a break!  And you are left in shock going, "NO FREAKIN' WAY!!!"

Axelia is believable and super easy to connect with.  You like her right away, even when she does something stupid.  Then your heart breaks for her as she copes with becoming a vampire and the severing of human ties.  You're outraged at the unfairness of it all.  Her reactions are in perfect tune with how you'd think someone would react; she's brave but not suddenly a kick-butt heroine out of nowhere.

Then there's Lucas.  Perfect!  Sure he's a jerk at first and stays pretty abrasive, but you understand who he is and where he's coming from and what type of man he is underneath the burliness.  There's a good amount of back story letting you ...and Axelia... warm to him.  There's some great chemistry between the two!

I love all the crazy and creative happening in this book.  I love that I kept thinking that it just couldn't get any worse and then it would.  I love how surprised I was throughout the book.  I love the great twist that comes at the end and how it's open to more, but enough closure that you can sigh that happy sigh of a book well concluded.

The only complaint I could make is that everything happened so quickly, that I wish I could've gotten to know all the characters, especially the peripheral ones, better.  I'm torn on this point.  On one hand, if Axelia spent a few days at each location, we would all know each other much better and the feeling between our MCs could grow at a more natural pace.  On the other hand, the crazy pace is what makes this book special.  Hmmm.  Guess I can't have my cake and eat it too, can I?

Cover Art:
This is they type of cover that gets me to read a book without so much as reading the blurb!  It's just that freaking beautiful!  See the butterflies?!?  I love little details like that!  And I love the title as well; it's a perfect tease for what we'll find inside and yet still quite mysterious.

Wanna read it?  Find it here:  Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Smashwords
Add it to your Goodreads here.

2 comments:

  1. Guess what?!?! My account is letting me comment again! Obviously, or else I wouldn't be here LOL.

    I've never heard of this but the cover!! Can't believe it's indie! Wowie! I don't know about vampires though. And it seems to have so much romance. I don't know if I'd like something like this.

    Ana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you can comment again! I've missed ya! :)

      Delete