Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Review: Charlie Bone and the Time Twister by Jenny Nimmo





Time is running out for Charlie Bone . . .

Charlie hopes that the new term at Bloor's Academy will hold no nasty surprises. But then Henry Yewbeam appears, twisted through time from the icy winter of 1916.

With the scheming Yewbeam aunts on the prowl, and the Bloors out to catch him, Henry will need Charlie's help just to stay alive. Bloor's Academy can be a very dangerous place . . .


Genre:  Middle Grade Fantasy
Publisher Type: Traditional (I listened to the cds)
My Rating: *  *  *  *

My Review:
I am so hooked on this series!  Book 2 starts with the new term at Bloors and all the amazing creativities and quirkinesses of book 1 are returned to us two-fold.  We get to see even more back story to the characters we have grown to love or those we love to hate.  And we get to meet new characters with their own special back stories.  I especially enjoyed seeing the Flames again and  meeting Cook.  

There's a new mystery to be solved and an old mystery that continues to haunt Charlie.  I loved the unique situation that brings Henry into Charlie's life and I was completely caught up in wondering how it would work out.  It didn't seem there was a happily ever after to be had.  I was pleasantly surprised how it did conclude.  I also enjoyed the beginnings to the Red King mystery.  The only issue I had was the continuing mystery of Charlie's missing dad.  From book 1 I had pretty much settled on the answer to where Charlie's dad is and book 2 confirmed this.  The only problem was that I felt it should be painfully obvious even to the characters by this point.  Alas, I just need to learn patience.  And who knows, maybe I'm wrong.

I did listen to the audio cd and found it just as engaging as the first book.  I'm looking forward to reading/listening to book 3!

Cover Art:
I love this covers to this series!  There's so much to them.  I love the little details and the use of the blues with just a touch of yellow and the use of deep shadows.  Good art makes me happy :)

2 comments:

  1. I rememver you saying you loved Midnight for Charlie Bone (Book 1).
    It sounds like a fun series, but your review reminds me of Harry Potter. Is there a big similarity?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there's definitely similarities, but not so much that it's bothersome. Both are middle grade fantasies centering on an English boy who discovers he has magical abilities and attends a boarding school. But outside of those generalities, HP & CB don't have much else in common. :)

      Delete