Friday, June 1, 2012

Review: Captivate by Carrie Jones

Captivate (Need #2)
**Beware, here be spoilers of Book 1**

Zara and her friends knew they hadn't solved the pixie problem for good. Far from it. The king's needs grow deeper every day he's stuck in captivity, while his control over his people gets weaker. It's made him vulnerable. And now there's a new king in town.

A turf war is imminent, since the new pixie king, Astley, is moving in quickly. Nick nearly killed him in the woods on day one, but Zara came to his rescue. Astley swears that he and Zara are destined to be together, that he's one of the good guys. Nick isn't buying it, though Zara isn't as sure -- despite herself, she wants to trust the new king. But it's a lot more than her relationship with Nick that is at stake. It's her life -- and his.

Genre:  YA Fantasy (Pixies & Weres, of my!)
Publisher Type:  Traditional
My Rating:  *  *  *  *  *

My Review:
I love this book.  It rocks!  It really is harder to write a positive review than one where there's issues to discuss; this is especially true of book that continue a series.  So....hmmm.... Well, I still love the characters.  Zara is extremely likable as are the rest of the cast.  I especially love Grandma.  She's kick-ass as both a human and a tiger!  I love Carrie Jones' creativity in combining werewolves, shifters and fairies.  And I love that there's tough decisions and sticky morality issues when it comes to how to handle the fae.  Zara must face a re-examination of her beliefs and that's tough, even when not dealing with crazy fairy issues (tee hee hee).  And I'm totally into Astley.  Yeah, yeah, I know Zara and Nick are soul mates and all, but come on, a yummy fae king who wants to make you his queen?!?!  Hello!?!  Am I alone in this?

So to sum it all up, all the awesome-sauce of Need, plus a new, quite yummy fae king and all sort of craziness (that I won't spoil for you by telling ya about it) equals one great read that you must, must, embark on!!!

Cover Art:
As I've said before, I'm a sucker for gold glitter on my cover.  Pretty, pretty!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment