Monday, May 28, 2012

Review:The Curse Girl by Kate Avery Ellison


Published: May 14th 2011

When Bee is imprisoned in a magical, cursed house because of her father's selfish choices, she has just one plan... escape! But she must solve a riddle and help her fellow prisoners break the curse that binds them all before she can leave, and that is proving more difficult than she originally thought thanks to the bitter young master of the house, Will.

Will wants nothing to do with Bee or her help (and he certainly isn't planning on falling in love with her), but he might have underestimated just how determined and clever--and irresistible--she can be.

Genre:  YA Fantasy
Publisher Type: Indie
My Rating: *  *  *  *  *

My Review:
First thoughts:  Holy cow this was good!  I could hardly put my kindle down long enough to feed my kids or even sleep.  What a fun ride!!!

So, here's the skinny:  Yup, I'm clueless, I didn't even realize that this was a retelling of the Beauty and the Beast story.  Had I known, I would've been a bit leery.  Classic stories retold can turn out cheesy, but this wasn't the case at all.  In retelling the story, yes, there's an element of predictability, but Ellison's shockingly creative with it.  Creative and unique elements rank high on my happy meter :)  Every facet of the story was twisted and altered in a way that made this story new and surprising (yes, plot twists that leave you saying "I did not see that coming!").  My favorite twist was the magic that surrounded the origami.  That gave me shivers. **happy sigh**

I love Bee.  She's an amazing character.  Strong, yet vulnerable, Bee is thrust into the extraordinary while still struggling to hold onto her average teen life of friends, school and a sort-of-boyfriend.  I loved how she explained herself: "I wasn't a hero, and I wasn't admirable.  I was simply stubborn enough to keep going even when everything seemed to be falling apart."  Then there's Will.  Oh, Will.  He's such a complete jerk at first.  Truly a beast.  I loved the back and forth between these two.  I loved how Bee called him "Beast Boy."  Their dialog created many a giggle. 

Overall, my only complaint is that, due to the nature of the story, this is a stand alone book.  There's no more.  I will indeed re-read this book; I'll miss these characters and will need to revisit them.  I really, really loved this book!!!

Cover Art:
This is a cover that makes a girl want to read a book without so much as a glance at the description.  It's so beautiful!!!  It's mysterious and magical, perfectly representing what you find inside.

2 comments:

  1. I would not have guessed that it was a retelling of Beauty and the Beast, but does it ever sound interesting. I'm leery of retellings as well because many have not gone over well. But I'm interested now. Thanks for the amazing review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh, I like this idea. The retelling of Beauty and the Beast. Seems to be a popular thing in the literary world today. I will have to pick this one up. :)

    ReplyDelete