Saturday, May 19, 2012

Review: Tidal Whispers by Adams, Gillian, Reece and Said




Expected publication: June 4, 2012 

Genre: Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance
Publisher Type:  Indie
Rating:  * * * *

My Review:
I've never been a huge short story compilation fan.  I find short stories hard to get into because, well, they're short. But these four stories were so just so satisfying, kind of like a slice of key lime pie.  This is the PERFECT summer read: a sweet seaside breeze, warm sand between my toes and romantic reminisces.  Here's the individual story descriptions with my individual rating and my thoughts:


Heart’s Desire by Julie Reece
After a terrible accident, Tessa returns to her family beach house to heal. She doesn’t expect to see her first summer crush from seven years before. Cameron, though, reappears and ignites a relationship that’s far more intense than ever before. The only problem? Summer is once again coming to an end, and this time, Tessa will have to decide whether to choose life with Cameron or to never see him again
My Thoughts:  Julie Reece has a breath-taking gift for description.  This story opens with one of Tessa's dreams.  I could read this scene over and over again, it is so beautifully written.  I was there, truly there with Tessa.  I was a bit disappointed with the ending here because our hero should have known Tessa well enough to realize what she would be willing to do (sorry, no spoilers here).  Nonetheless, a beautiful and creative story.  Individual Rating:  * * * *


The Sweetest Song by Claire Gillian
Under Poseidon’s rule, Circe is the most destructive siren in the Pacific ocean, her songs luring ships and their crew to their watery graves. Not Otis, the best halibut fisherman in the Alaskan waters. His ship, the Calypso, has avoided disaster each time Circe set her sights on him.

Given one last chance to deliver Otis to Davy Jones’ locker, Circe takes to land to waylay the handsome captain. Instead, it may be Otis himself who hooks the Siren.

My Thoughts: It's hard to pull off a story using such well known characters as Poseidon and Circe without it getting corny.  There is a bit of that as the story starts off, but it soon became a sweet and tender romance.  I love what blooms between Circe and Otis and his heroism in the end.  The conclusion held a little more of that aforementioned corniness, but a good finish regardless.  Individual Rating: * * *



Pearl of Pau’maa by Kelly Said
Should Miki choose to wed the local wealthy boy she doesn't love, her stomach will stop grumbling. Her soul, however, will suffocate. With one last opportunity before she must concede, she sneaks off for a final dive to her hidden crate at the bottom of the seabed. What waits for her is more than a captured lobster. It's a treasure she cannot claim without great sacrifice or true love.
My Thoughts: By far my favorite story, this has all the romance, suspense and mystery of a full length novel.  I loved Miki, she's smart and brave, a perfect match for our hero, Harmon.  I loved everything that happened in these few short pages and can only beg for more.  I'm hoping this is a prequel to what is to come.  It seems Kelly Said has only published short stories to date.  What?!?!  Kelly, please write more!  A full length more!!!  Individual Rating: * * * * *

The Undergarden by Jocelyn Adams
Nixie, a water sprite, lives a solitary existence as she struggles to understand the strange world beyond her waters. When she meets one of the pink ones, a curious boy named Wyatt, their friendship blooms into a love that can exist only upon the sands that divide his solid ground from her underwater paradise. Some love, though, once born, cannot be undone, even in the face of death.

My Thoughts: I can sum up this story in two words: beautifully bittersweet.  The most dramatic of the four stories, Nixie's story is both wonderful and tragic.  Whereas I'm not a huge fan of sadness and drama in my books, this was still a lovely and well-told story.  Individual Rating:  * * * *

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, I really enjoyed this antho, too. I think we share a lot of the same opinions on it. And I'm very excited that I get to share my winter antho with Kelly Said because I LOVE her writing. :o)

    ReplyDelete