Friday, May 4, 2012

Review: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout ( #DaemonInvasion #DaemonsDemons )



Goodreads Description:
Starting over sucks.When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.And then he opened his mouth.Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. The hot alien living next door marks me.You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. If I don't kill him first, that is.

Genre:  YA Sci-Fi/Paranormal Romance
Publisher Type:  Indie/Traditional Hybrid
My Rating:  *  *  *  *  *  *

My Review:
So, yup, you didn't count wrong... I gave this one 6 stars.  I've never done this before on my blog (which has only been around Since October) as I prefer to adhere to Goodread's simple 0 to 5 whole star rating. But this book may be one of my all time favorites, up there with Harry Potter and Twilight.

So now, I've stopped hugging my kindle and giggling feverishly over how fabulous this read was only to tell you all about it.  Why did I love this book so much?  Let me count the ways...

  1. Snarky dialogue that left me snorting with laughter (which caused people around me to stare)
  2. Crazy chemistry between characters: there was a total Twilight feel of brooding guy with secrets acting bipolar toward his love interest (not a criticism as I loved Twilight); I liked the realness of Katy and Daemon's mixed emotions and the author really knows how to write H E A T  in that suspenseful place of tumultuous feelings
  3. Smart protagonist:  Girlfriend has backbone!  She's witty and brave while still being vulnerable, realistic and relate-able.  Though she's melting on the inside, she stands up to Daemon.  I loved how Katy handles herself at the end of the book (I won't spoil by saying more).
  4. Unique and creative plot:  Aliens!  Who knew they could be so very yummy!?!  And this book was so chopped full of action, I hardly put it down.  Great story!!!  Great supporting characters!  W O W!!!
Cover Art:
The cover is just amazing.  The type of cover that'd have me buying this book without even reading the back.  The cover model, of course, is quite hot and a perfect picture of Daemon.  And I love the stormy background.  The only issue I have is that the woman on the cover fits Dee's (Daemon's sister) description, not Katy, who has light brown hair (light enough that Daemon asks about the color saying it's neither blonde nor brown).  It's still a great cover!

Some Fav Quotes:
Swimming was the last thing I wanted to do.  Drowning him?  Maybe. (pg 40)

"In your dreams, Kitten."  He smirked. "Oh wait, I'm already starring in those, aren't I?"
I rolled my eyes.  "Nightmares, Daemon.  Nightmares." (pg 97)

He slowly lifted his head, placing his other hand on mine.  "Remind me," he paused, drawing in a stuttered gasp, "to never piss you off again.  Christ, are you secretly a ninja?"

5 comments:

  1. Hi!

    I'm a fan of this book and of this author. It's crazy how addictive her books are. And Daemon? One of my all time favorite character.
    I was like you when I read the novel some time ago. I laughed like an idiot, but how not to? It's just too good. I can't wait for Onyx. Only August. I can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate waiting, but at the same time it's kind of fun ... like waiting to open presents at Christmas!

      Delete
  2. I've only read one book by Jennifer and it left a little (lot) to be desired so I haven't been tempted to pick up anything by her since. However, Obsidian sounds like an excellent book; according to your review anyway. I might have to reconsider! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoo-hoo! So glad you loved it! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Obsidian is another captivating page-turner by Jennifer that will no doubt be throwing many curve balls in the future. I can't wait to find out how the series continues.

    ReplyDelete