Friday, May 25, 2012

Review: Dime Store Magic


Dime Store Magic 

Paige Winterbourne was always either too young or too rebellious to succeed her mother as leader of one of the world's most powerful elite organizations- the American Coven of Witches. Now that she is twenty-three and her mother is dead, the Elders can no longer deny her. But even Paige's wildest antics can't hold a candle to those of her new charge- an orphan who is all too willing to use her budding powers for evil... and evil is all too willing to claim her. For this girl is being pursued by a dark faction of the supernatural underworld. They are a vicious group who will do anything to woo the young, malleable, and extremely powerful neophyte, including commit murder- and frame Paige for the crime. It's an initiation into adulthood, womanhood, and the brutal side of magic that Paige will have to do everything within her power to make sure they both survive.

Genre:  Paranormal Romance
Publisher Type: Traditional
My Rating: *  *  *  *

My Review:
I had a hard time getting into this one.  Armstrong's writing is fantastic and her stories always pull the reader in from the get go, but I drug my feet reading this one because it was about Paige.  We met Paige in book 2, Paige is not a likable girl.  She's pretty darn annoying.  Her Coven is annoying.  I probably wouldn't have read this one if not for the reading challenge.  Especially once I hit the faux Satan worship set-up in Paige's backyard.  That was too much for a girl with an imagination like mine.  Luckily I pushed on.  This is a fantastic read.  I almost missed it.

Much like in Jane Austen's Emma, our mc requires a great deal of character growth to become someone readers will like.  In both cases this growth is slow and takes most of the book.  I did feel sorry for Paige with all the crap that is thrown at her, but I often found myself thinking, "This girl is too stupid to live."  As Paige deals with betrayals and insecurities, she partakes in a huge amount of personal growth.  I love to see a character wrestle with preconceived notions and beliefs and come out a better person for it.  This happens with Paige.  I liked where the book took her.  I especially loved the showdown with Leah that emphasized these changes, but still showed Paige to be Paige.

Dime Store Magic is fast-paced and well written with a great plot chop full of interesting characters.  Even our villains are well-developed and not just pure evil.  Lucas was amazing and though we saw very little of him, Kristof Nast, peaked my curiosity.  I really enjoyed Savannah's and Paige's growing relationship, especially how their losses echoed one another's.  

Despite my initial issues, this was a great read and I'm looking forward to more of Paige's story in Industrial Magic, which is up next.


2 comments:

  1. LOL. Yeah, Paige was not my favorite person either. I just didn't care what happened to her. And the beginning was sooooo slow.

    My review: http://readingandwritingurbanfantasy.blogspot.com/2012/05/review-dime-store-magic-by-kelley.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great review!!! thank you so much for participating and for your support! You are one of the winners for Month three reading challenge! Please email me with your addy & the book depository $15 pick! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete