Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Review: The New Death and Others by James Hutchings

by James Hutchings

Death gets a roommate...

An electronic Pope faces a difficult theological question...

A wicked vizier makes a terrible bargain...

44 stories. 19 poems. No whiny vampires. There's a thin line between genius and insanity, and James Hutchings has just crossed it - but from which direction?

Genre:  
Short Stories, Dark Fantasy, Dark Humor

Publisher Type:  Indie Author

Rating:  *  *  *  *

My Review:
This book is Shel Silverstein* for grown ups, especially those grown-ups with a twisted sense of humor.  Actually, I'd absolutely love to see this book published with Silverstein-inspired illustrations to go with these witty and ironic pondering.  These stories and poems are smart, strange, sarcastic and sometimes quite deep.   I can't say I loved them all, but every story was unique and interesting.  Each story had it's own voice and style.  Though I'm not a huge fan of either short stories or poetry, this book was such an enjoyable read.  And to top it all, this is a $ .99 book (& currently free on Amazon, but I don't know for how long)!

Cover Art:
This is a fun cover that fits the book quite well.  I love the block-print look to the graphics.






*Just in case your not familiar,  Shel Silverstien (my very favorite poet in the whole world) wrote children's books such as The Giving Tree and Where the Sidewalk Ends.

1 comment:

  1. Since you like to read, I wondered if you might be interested in learning more about cryptic crosswords. If so, this is a link to a post I did recently on cryptic crossword clues that involve anagrams. Cryptic Crossword Clues - Anagrams

    ReplyDelete