Friday, March 2, 2012

Series Review: Strange Angels by Lili St. Crow

by Lili St. Crow (aka Lilith Saintcrow)
Genre:  YA Urban Fantasy
Series Rating:  *  *  *  *  *
(with grave concerns over the ending)
Book 1 Description:   
Dru Anderson has what her grandmother called "the touch." (Comes in handy when you're traveling from town to town with your dad, hunting ghosts, suckers, wulfen, and the occasional zombie.)
Then her dad turns up dead - but still walking - and Dru knows she's next. Even worse, she's got two guys hungry for her affections, and they're not about to let the fiercely independent Dru go it alone. Will Dru discover just how special she really is before coming face-to-fang with whatever - or whoever - is hunting her?
Books 2 through 5 descriptions can be found here (to avoid spoilers).

My Series Review:
This is a 5 book young adult series written by Lilith Saintcrow under the pen name Lili St. Crow.  I happened upon the first book a few years ago in the library.  I haven't read any of her other work.

The writing is amazing.  Dru's character is fantastic.  She's tough and yet vulnerable, dealing with her life the best she can.  She grows throughout the 5 books, but remains true to herself.  
The action is intense.  Right off the bat, Dru is attacked by a zombie; but not just any zombie... someone had turned her father, the only family she had, into a zombie and sent him to kill her.  Pretty intense, huh?  Though there is romance (a well-done love triangle), the action is what carries this series.   Each book is filled with nail-biting suspense and avid action.  Definitely movie material.  The third book, Jealousy, does suffer a slow down for the 2/3 of the book, but the explosive ending is worth the slower pace of the rest of the book. 
The aforementioned love-triangle is between the mysterious, sexy Christophe and Graves who is loyal and tough.  Both of these guys and the rest of the cast are well-developed, dynamic  and dimensional.  I've remained team Christophe throughout the series, despite him being a jerk at moments.  Graves really does shine in book 5, Reckoning, but ultimately, couldn't win me over.
I've given this series a 5 star rating, but noted that I have grave concerns about the ending ... or non-ending as it sadly turns out.  Yup, the villain was indeed vanquished (with the realistic understanding another will eventually rise in his place), but that's as much resolution that the reader gets. This is the last book. What the heck?!? I'm horribly disappointed with the total lack of resolution. The love triangle that teases us throughout... UNRESOLVED! The new mystery of Drew's heritage on her father's side... UNRESOLVED! Ugh!!! Grrr!!!! Ugh!!!! The ending is fine for a middle-of-the-series book, but stinks as a series finale. 

I don't know what to think of this? Is this typical for this author? Did the publisher ax books 6 & 7? Anyone with any insight please take pity on me and explain what happened here. I'm good with some details left in the wind at the end of a series (Stiefvater's Wolves of Mercy Falls for example), but the level of unanswered questions in just unacceptable.


I'm hoping that a change of heart will occur and more books will be written.  This is an unfinished story as it stands.

So, should you read this series?  Yes!  It's too good to miss, even unfinished.

Cover Art:
I'm fairly indifferent on these covers.  I like that they fit one another, but the model seems too old to be Dru.  My favorite is Defiance; I like her hair pulled in a braid (very Dru) and the teal background.  Obviously the covers did their job, I picked book 1 up because the library had it displayed on top of a half shelf.

8 comments:

  1. I've got this series on my shelves (just the two first books) since like forever. I have to read it!
    Thank you for your great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am wanting at least another book...so many unresolved things in her life other killing king vampire. I vote for Graves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think there should be another book of this series because i want to know wat happenes to Graves and if he ends up coming back to be with Dru

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also want to know what Graves undergoes and if he comes back to Dru I was so voting for him to be with Dru

      Delete
  4. its so stupid shes waiting for graves and christophe is waiting for her

    ReplyDelete
  5. Team Graves. I'm very disappointed, so I'm going to read a fanfiction :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. im sooo team christphe!

    ReplyDelete