Sunday, March 4, 2012

Series Review: Stephanie Plum by Janet Evanovich

by Janet Evanovich

Genre:  Romantic Action/Adventure with Humor
Series Rating:   *  *  *  *  *


Book 1 Description:
Welcome to Trenton, New Jersey, home to wiseguys, average Joes, and Stephanie Plum, who sports a big attitude and even bigger money problems (since losing her job as a lingerie buyer for a department store). Stephanie needs cash--fast--but times are tough, and soon she's forced to turn to the last resort of the truly desperate: family.

Stephanie lands a gig at her sleazy cousin Vinnie's bail bonding company. She's got no experience. But that doesn't matter. Neither does the fact that the bail jumper in question is local vice cop Joe Morelli. From the time he first looked up her dress to the time he first got into her pants to the time Steph hit him with her father's Buick, M-o-r-e-l-l-i has spelled t-r-o-u-b-l-e. And now the hot guy is in hot water--wanted for murder.

Abject poverty is a great motivator for learning new skills, but being trained in the school of hard knocks by people like psycho prizefighter Benito Ramirez isn't. Still, if Stephanie can nab Morelli in a week, she'll make a cool ten grand. All she has to do is become an expert bounty hunter overnight--and keep herself from getting killed before she gets her man.


Series Review:
This isn't a completed series, but as I sucked down Explosive Eighteen last week, I just had to  dish about this series.  It's sooo freaking awesome!!!  If you haven't read this series yet, go get book 1, One for the Money, right now.  Go ahead, I'll wait.  ...Just come back, K?  'Cause it does get lonely without you.

So the first thing you'll notice, is the Stephanie Plum series is out of my usual genre of all things paranormal.  You'll find a great deal of the pnr/urban fantasy crowd loving them some Janet E.  I think it's because all the ridiculous situations into which Stephanie gets herself feels almost fantasy-like.  This isn't the silly, slap-stick stuff at which I tend to roll my eyes.  This is laugh out loud 'til tears leak out of your eyes and strangers are staring funny.  The cast of characters aren't the most well-rounded, but they are charismatic.  The two men in Stephanie's life are quite yummy and make for a perfect love triangle (Team Ranger anyone?).  These books are a fun, quick ride you do not want to miss.

Once you get started, there's plenty of Stephanie, Joe & Ranger to keep you entertained.  There's currently 18 books in the main series with a promise of a few more to come as well as 4 "between the novels" holiday themed books (skip these unless you are a BIG fan; Plum Spooky was the only one I really liked).  They've also made the first book into a movie, but it hasn't hit the dollar theater yet, so I haven't seen it (I'm cheap that way).  I've heard mixed reviews, but I want to judge for myself.  Here's the trailer...


4 comments:

  1. I've read the first two books so far and liked them a lot, Danielle. I will definitely continue the series. Have you by any chance read Wicked Appetite by Evanovich? I thought that one was much funnier.
    Great review. I haven't seen the movie yet either, but I'm very excited about it.
    Maja @ The Nocturnal Library

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed Wicked Appetite! The cat was my favorite ... tee hee hee! Wicked Appetite is a spin off of the between the numbers books, but is much better. I look forward to the next in that series.
      :)
      D

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, Sverige, I had to delete your comment as it contained spoilers (about the Hawaii dets). I'm glad you stopped by though and enjoyed reading your thoughts, but I am super careful not to ruin anything for a potential reader. :)

      Delete