Thursday, March 22, 2012

Review: Need by Carrie Jones

by Carrie Jones
Goodreads Description:
Zara White suspects there's a freaky guy semi-stalking her. She's also obsessed with phobias. And it's true, she hasn't exactly been herself since her stepfather died. But exiling her to shivery Maine to live with her grandmother? That seems a bit extreme. The move is supposed to help her stay sane...but Zara's pretty sure her mom just can't deal with her right now.

She couldn't be more wrong. Turns out the semi-stalker is not a figment of Zara's overactive imagination. In fact, he's still following her, leaving behind an eerie trail of gold dust. There's something not right - not human - in this sleepy Maine town, and all signs point to Zara.

In this creepy, compelling breakout novel, Carrie Jones delivers romance, suspense, and a creature you never thought you'd have to fear.



Genre:  YA Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance
Rating:  *  *  *  *  *
  
My Review:
Alright.... it's use your imagination time here...  See me doing cartwheels?  See me jumping up and down excitedly and doing a little happy dance?  You should because that's how I feel.  I love, love, love this book!  And the 4th book of this series is set to come out in May!  Yay, no waiting for Danielle.  So what makes this book so great?  Well, let me tell you...

First I loved the writing style.  Need is written in the first-person pov of Zara.  The wording is simple, crisp and clear, but not dumbed-down.  Zara's pain is raw and palatable.  Jones explains it succinctly yet with depth.  Also, I loved how close Zara and her step-father were before his death.  Their back story was beautiful and gave Zara dimension.  I liked all the characters; Zara's friends and grandma each had unique personalities that fit well within the story.  Issie is my favorite as she is bouncy and quirky (maybe, just maybe, just like me).  The supernatural elements were fabulous, but I won't spoil or even hint ;)  The plot was fun, full of action and mystery.

On the down side, I was expecting a bit more scary/creepy elements as the book was marketed as such.  I also felt that some characters could have been developed a bit better, however with first-person pov there is a limit to what can be done with secondary characters.  

Overall everything for which a gal like me could ask.  Yup.  Finished it with a happy sigh.  There's still enough dangling that makes me want to pick up the next book, but not so much that the ending was dissatisfying.

Cover Art:
So, so pretty!  I must have a thing about gold glitter on book covers (see my gushings over the Heven & Hell series).  I guess my kids should be thankful that gold glitter hasn't made it's way into my make-up arsenal.

No comments:

Post a Comment