Friday, March 23, 2012

Review: Bitten by Kelley Armstrong


by Kelley Armstrong

Amazon Description:
Living in Toronto for a year, Elena is leading the normal life she has always dreamed of, including a stable job as a journalist and a nice apartment shared with her boyfriend. As the lone female werewolf in existence, only her secret midnight prowls and her occasional inhuman cravings set her apart. Just one year ago, life was very different. Adopted by the Pack when bitten, Elena had spent years struggling with her resentment at having her life stolen away. Torn between two worlds, and overwhelmed by the new passions coursing through her body, her only option for control was to deny her awakening needs and escape.

But now the Pack has called Elena home to help them fight an alliance of renegade werewolves who are bent on exposing and annihilating the Pack. And although Elena is obliged to rejoin her "family," she vows not to be swept up in Pack life again, no matter how natural it might feel. She has made her choice. Trouble is, she's increasingly uncertain if it's the right one.

An erotically charged thriller, Bitten will awaken the voracious appetite of every reader, as the age-old battle between man and beast, between human and inhuman forces, comes to a head in one small town and within one woman's body.


Genre:  Paranormal Romance (yup, pretty steamy!)

Rating:  *  *  *  *  *


My Review:

This is my second reading of Bitten (actually this time I listened to it through an Audible download) and I loved it every bit as much as the first time I read it this time last year.  I used to reread books all the time before I got a Kindle, but anymore there's so many new books (thanks Indie authors!!! Yay!) to try that it seems that I don't have the time to revisit old favorites.  Participating in the Women of the Otherworld Challenge hosted by Moonlight Gleam's Bookshelf has given me a chance to do so.

So, onto the reviewing...

I easily connected with Elena. Here she is struggling with the whole werewolf thing. She's certain that her happiness is dependent on her being as human as possible, hating the other part of her, the wolf that was forced upon her. She does grow to accept and even esteem this part of her ... however, she goes kicking and screaming all along the way through this self-discovery. Tee hee hee. Elena is a stubborn women, a kindred spirit to myself (being a wolf would totally rock, but I'd be pretty pissed too about the lack of decision input).

Then there's Clay. Oh, Clay. His crazy love and single minded devotion to Elena is really romantic. Yes, he behaves like a complete idiot much of the time, but he too matures and learns how to express his love selflessly. Ahhh. Sigh. Ahhh. Good... no, perfect... romance! Yay!

Who couldn't love Jeremy, who patience and kindness to Elena is totally endearing? I hope future books will include a romantic development for him.

The plot was also chopped full of mystery and action, lots of twists and turns to keep a gal satisfied. Elena is brave throughout the entire mess, even though we see her vulnerability clearly, making her all the more likable. Courage despite fear is one of my favorite attributes in a heroine.

I'm eager to read the next book and am having a hard time waiting until April when we a slated to read it for the challenge. This may be my favorite challenge I do this year!

6 comments:

  1. I actually got to meet her at a book signing! Yay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That had to be very cool! I haven't ever meet anyone famous. I'd be a complete dork about it... small talk doesn't come easy for me anyhow and put that on top of the nervousness of meeting someone famous, I'd be a total dork. Which book did you get signed?

      Delete
  2. Hello hun! Thank you so much for participating in the Women of The Otherworld reading challenge! You rock! :) hehe :)

    I also really connected with Elena in this book, I personally prefer all the books that have Elena as the narrator hehe. then woosh, Clay *swoons* who can't like Clay? hehe :).

    Can't wait to read your next review!!! *blush* I hope you enjoy the challenge hehe :)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. starting April, there will be a series of mini challenges to get more chances to win prizes *winks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and reading my review. I'm really enjoying this challenge and look forward to getting to know everyone throughout the 13 months!

      Woo hoo! Mini Challenges! I will keep my eyes peeled for those!

      :)

      Delete
  4. Wow this sounds really great. I've heard quite a bit about this series. So i think i might add it to my TBR pile. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete