Thursday, March 22, 2012

Review: Between by Cambria Hebert


Expected publication:
April 20, 2012

I grew up in a comfortable house with two parents and a white-picket fence. My brother, Sam, and I used to play with sticks in the backyard and pretend they were swords. There were always cookies on the table and milk in the fridge. Then, one day, things changed. 

Sam changed. 

Life was never the same again. Sam left. My parents abandoned him when he needed them most, and I was left to survive in a house that was merely a shell of what it used to be. Mom cried all the time and Dad expected me to fill the void my brother left behind. But mostly, all we did was pretend. We pretended that things weren’t messed up. We pretended that Sam never existed. 

Until I changed, too. 

Now, everything’s a mess and I’m so confused. It’s like there are two different people trapped inside one body—my body—and one of them wants out. I do things. Bad things and I don’t know how to stop. I’m not sure I want to. The only way I can be normal again is if I find Sam. He’ll know what to do. 

He has too.

Genre:  YA Paranormal
Rating:  *  *  *  *

My Review:
This is a short story that fits between the first book in the series and it's much anticipate sequel, Charade.  If you haven't read the prequel, Before, or book 1, Masquerade.  You really should head straight over Smashwords and get them (click on the their titles for the link); they are sooo worth the read!!!  Crazy fun and unique; I gave them each 5 stars.  See my reviews here and here.  Currently (3-22-12) Before is free and Masquerade is $2.99.  Woo hoo!!!  I love affordable reading!

Sooo.....  onto Between....

In Between we get to know of Sam's younger brother's experiences between the time Sam was forced to leave and when Logan catch's up with Sam.  The events that unfold are engaging and heartbreaking as Logan faces the same rejection Sam experienced.  The story is a teaser for book 2 thus it crescendos into a tantalizing revelation leaving us anxious to get our hands on Charade.

I love Logan and look forward to his increasing role in this series.  Cambria Hebert does an exceptional job developing both story line and character in so few words. 

Read this series in order.  There's a lot of surprises and mystery that would be ruined otherwise.

Cover Art;
I cannot gush enough about the covers to this series!!!  Captivating!  And I am a huge fan of (and, yes a big dork about) themes being carried from one book cover to the next in a series.  Between's cover doesn't disappoint.  Being Logan's story, it's more masculine, but elements from the first 2 covers are utilized to bring that unity I love.  Look close at this cover.  There's a big hint there you don't want to miss.  I LOVE that!!!!






2 comments:

  1. Wow, I didn't know about Between. I read both Before and Masquerade and liked it, so I'm going to have to pick this one up immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grea review. I fell exactly the same way about between, although I have to say that what happened at the end, I was kind of suspicious about it ever since I read the Masquerade. Now I can't wait for Charade.

    ReplyDelete