Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Review: Soul Screamers Vol 1 by Rachel Vincent


Since there's the prequel and first two novels in this volume, 
I'll break the descriptions and my reviews down for each...

Genre:  YA Fantasy

My Soul to Lose
Goodreads Description:
It was supposed to be a fun day, shopping at the mall with her best friend. Then the panic attack started and Kaylee Cavanaugh finds herself screaming, unable to stop. Her secret fears are exposed and it's the worst day of her life.

Until she wakes up in the psychiatric unit.

She tries to convince everyone she's fine--despite the shadows she sees forming around another patient and the urge to scream which comes burbling up again and again. Everyone thinks she's crazy. Everyone except Lydia, that is. Another patient with some special abilities....

Rating:  * * * *
My Review:
This was a really well done short story. Even as a stand-alone story, without the rest of the series, this was so worth the read. This prequel is about Kaylee having an "episode" and ending up in a mental health ward. It's really intense, but has it's humorous moments. Kaylee meets a girl Lydia, whom I can't tell you much about without giving too much away. Lydia is my favorite in this story. This is definitely a great way to start the series!

My Soul to Take
Goodreads Description:
She doesn't see dead people, but…

She senses when someone near her is about to die. And when that happens, a force beyond her control compels her to scream bloody murder. Literally.

Kaylee just wants to enjoy having caught the attention of the hottest guy in school. But a normal date is hard to come by when Nash seems to know more about her need to scream than she does. And when classmates start dropping dead for no apparent reason, only Kaylee knows who'll be next…

Rating:  * * *
My Review:
This book offers a unique premise. I read a great deal of paranormal themed books and haven't run into ...hmmm, I can't say what, gives too much away... but it's something different and I always appreciate that. The characters are well-written and even the smaller characters are dynamic and developed. The plot is good; I love unpredictable twists and turns, along with a good mystery. My only complaint is I don't understand how the guilty party could make the deal he/she did. Sorry about being vague, I really strive to never spoil, but there seems to be a definite plot hole here. Nonetheless, this is worth the read. 


My Soul to Save
Goodreads Description:
When Kaylee Cavanaugh screams, someone dies.

So when teen pop star Eden croaks onstage and Kaylee doesn't wail, she knows something is dead wrong. She can't cry for someone who has no soul.

The last thing Kaylee needs right now is to be skipping school, breaking her dad's ironclad curfew and putting her too-hot-to-be-real boyfriend's loyalty to the test. But starry-eyed teens are trading their souls: a flickering lifetime of fame and fortune in exchange for eternity in the Netherworld—a consequence they can't possibly understand.

Kaylee can't let that happen, even if trying to save their souls means putting her own at risk….

Rating:  * * * *
My Review:
I'm going to start with some of my favorite quotes...

"She pivoted slowly to look at me, and I saw time in her eyes. Years of life and death, and existence without end."

"Evidently people come with expiration dates stamped on them at birth -- much like food in the grocery store."

"I'd helped Addy and Regan because I couldn't not help them. Because in most cases, I believe that people deserve a second chance. And because I couldn't have lived with myself if I'd stood by and let them both die soulless, when I could have helped."

The above quotes really highlight what I loved about this book. The writing is descriptive in a way that colors your imagination. It is also witty and fun, which helps balance the dark subject matter. I especially appreciated the ironic humor of squeaky clean teen tv/pop stars being the ones in Hollywood to have sold their souls. The final quote reflects the character of the heroine.

On the downside, while the main character is very likable (as is Tod), I feel pretty indifferent about the rest of the crew, including Nash. I know, **gasp** there's lots of love out there for Nash. He's a good guy, but I just don't feet the chemistry there nor see much depth to his character.

Overall, a great read. The story pulls you in and keeps you guessing how it will all turn out. 

Cover Art:
I love the covers for this series!!!  Kaylee seems to dance across the covers with hints of beautiful dresses that fade into same colored smoke.  This is graphic design at it's finest!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for stopping by my blog and adding my button to your blog. I've done the same and added your button to my blog ^.^

    ReplyDelete