Monday, January 16, 2012

Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream

"A Midsummer Night's Dream"
by William Shakespeare

In A Midsummer Night's Dream, Shakespeare confronts us with mysterious images of romantic desire. There are Theseus and Hippolyta, about to be married; both are strange and wonderful figures from classical mythology.
Within Theseus's world of Athens, two young men and two young women sort themselves out into marriageable couples, but only after one triangle, with Hermia at the apex and Helena excluded, is temporarily replaced by another, this time with Helena at the apex and Hermia excluded.
In the woods outside of Athens, where the lovers suffer their strange love experiences, we find yet other images of desire, these involving the king and queen of Fairyland and an Athenian weaver transformed into an ass-headed monster.
Finally, there is the tragic love story of "Pyramus and Thisbe," ineptly written and staged by Bottom and his workingmen companions.

Genre:  Classic, Comedy, Play

Rating:  *  *  *  *

My Review:

It seems wrong to review Shakespeare. Nonetheless, here are my thoughts...

I've been wanting to read this since reading Kagawa's Iron Fey series. I found an app on my phone where I can listen to classics and that is how I "read" this. I now would love to see it performed as I'm sure some of the humor is lost in only listening. Otherwise, I enjoyed the play, felt bad for those affected (especially Helena) and found some humor, especially in Bottom. My favorite lines were the ones spoken in rhyme.

The recording was done by Libravox and was well done. Different characters were acted out by various readers and a narrator gave the stage directions.

1 comment:

  1. Oh how fun!
    I should read/listen to this one.
    I loved the film!

    ReplyDelete