Sunday, January 29, 2012

Review: Touch of Frost by Jocelyn Adams





Release Date: February 1, 2012

Even the simplest of touches between Will Frost and Lauren McLean are forbidden.

To share love will surely mean death.

Since her granddad’s passing, Lauren has existed a few steps out of sync with the world. Desperate to feel the love only he offered her as a child, Lauren returns to the haven they once shared — a snow-covered cabin at the foothills of the Rockies.

It’s not the memory of her granddad that warms her ice-cold, frost-bitten body after being caught in a blizzard, though. It’s the man in whose bed she wakes.

Along with bringing life to her soul, Will stirs deep-rooted memories in Lauren and brings out the love she seeks.

What Will knows about himself — the secrets of his kind — he keeps hidden, forcing Lauren to search for answers, to question and ultimately put her life, and his own existence, in danger.

In love, though, there is always a way.

Can Will get around the rules? Or will Lauren give up her life simply to have one last touch from Will Frost?

Genre:  Paranormal Romance
Rating:   *  *  *  *
My Review:
This was a wonderful story.  Connecting with Lauren was easy; she was very likable.  The author has a way of bringing you into the story to where you are experiencing everything as Lauren does.  You mourned.  You felt the relaxing calm of nature.  You froze.  And you fell in love.  Will was an amazing character.  I loved the mystery of him.  He was such an intriguing character and his rescuing a lynx cub and raising her endeared him to me immediately.

There were a few things that I thought that could have been better done.  Word choice was sometimes an issue for me, despite the authors amazing ability to engulf me in the story.  This was especially so for the sex scene.  The story was so emotional and I felt the sex scene would've been better done focusing on the emotions.  The verbiage fell flat for me here.

Overall, a very enjoyable way to spend a winter's day: cuddled on the couch, cup of hot tea, fire going, immersed in this story.

Cover Art: 
What can I say?  This is such a beautiful cover!  The model is perfect (I like that the story doesn't tell us a lot about what Lauren looks like, but the cover gives us a visual to use) and her blank stare makes you wonder about Lauren's well being.  The snow and spectrum of blues hint to the story without giving too much away. The composition is well balanced and the words are easily read.  A flawless cover!

4 comments:

  1. I do love the cover of this book and I'm so glad you actually commented on it. I love that you say this is a book to read on a cold winter day with a nice cup of tea (sounds like my perfect read!). Great review, it definitely sounds interesting and I would love to look more into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha at first I thought you were talking about the Jennifer Estep novel! The cover not as terrific but it looks like a good read all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paranormal romance...i never yet read a story like this but this novel seem good by the way you have describe it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anything fantasy is my favorite. I just love anticipating the magical that is lying underneath the surface. This is a great way to dip your toe into the genre. :)

      Delete