Sunday, January 8, 2012

Raised by Wolves by Jennifer Lynn Barnes



Adopted by the Alpha of a werewolf pack after a rogue wolf brutally killed her parents right before her eyes, fifteen-year-old Bryn knows only pack life, and the rigid social hierarchy that controls it. That doesn't mean that she's averse to breaking a rule or two.

But when her curiosity gets the better of her and she discovers Chase, a new teen locked in a cage in her guardian's basement, and witnesses him turn into a wolf before her eyes, the horrific memories of her parents' murders return. Bryn becomes obsessed with getting her questions answered, and Chase is the only one who can provide the information she needs.

But in her drive to find the truth, will Bryn push too far beyond the constraints of the pack, forcing her to leave behind her friends, her family, and the identity that she's shaped?

Genre:  YA Fantasy
 
My Rating:  * * * * *
 
My Review:
 
Wow.  Wow.  Wow.  And I almost didn't read this.  See, on a trip to the library to pick up some books I had placed on hold (my favorite way to get library books... no browsing only to find the 1st book in the series is at the branch across town) I happened across this book.  But then I got busy and it was return or renew time.  I thought I'd return it, but then I opened it, and then I pretty much didn't put it down.  

I loved this book.  Bryn was a great character and I felt for her every step of the way.  She makes mistakes and hurts people she loves, she is hurt by those same people, she deals with the situations before her and she grows into a dynamic leader.  This book had no slow, drag-it-out moments and lots of suspense and excitement.  There's a bit of predictability involved, but not so much as to annoy a reader.  I really loved the ending.  I will definitely read the rest of  this series.

Cover Art:
 
Our library places some books face forward on the upper shelves.  This was one of them and the cover caught my eye enough that I brought the book home.  'Nuff said. 

2 comments:

  1. That's a great review! I've never read a book with werewolves, but this one is getting added to my TBR list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm I totally want to read everything by barnes after reading every Other Day! glad you liked it! i hope I can pick this up from my library soon!

    ReplyDelete