Thursday, January 12, 2012

Enchantment by Charlotte Abel

Sixteen year old Channie Kerns leads an idyllic life of seclusion and magic deep in the Ozark Mountains ... until her family is forced to flee for their lives.

They leave everything and everyone behind to start over in Louisville, Colorado. Magic is forbidden while they are in hiding, but Channie can't resist the temptation to enchant a group of local boys. When her overbearing parents catch her flirting with these "sex-crazed, non-magical boys," they slap a chastity spell on her to protect her virtue.

The spell is triggered by lust, so just navigating the halls at school is an ordeal. She can't even touch a boy she's attracted to without blasting him with a jolt of magical energy that feels like a taser attack.

The situation becomes unbearable when Channie falls in love with Josh Abrim, a BMX racer with dangerous secrets of his own. She rebels against her parents and turns to dark and forbidden magic to break the chastity spell ... with disastrous results.


Genre:  YA Fantasy

Rating:  * * * * 

My Review:
This books was full of surprises. It's shockingly well-edited. I've read plenty of professionally published books with more typos and wording issues than "Enchantment." I also was not expecting the story to be so well-told. Abel's verbiage was flawless. I wasn't 100% sold on the story line when I read the description, but I'm so glad I gave it a try. The characters felt authentic throughout the book. The story developed well, though I thought it was a little slow in sections and had a predictable moment or two (I find these to be hallmarks of romances). Overall, a really great read. I am very eager for the next book in this series, Empty (potential cover art below).

Cover Art:
I love purple and that really draws me to the cover as well as the expression on the girl's face which adds a sense of mystery.  I could do without the bike silouhette which I think clutters the cover.  I do like the font used for the title and the cover words are very readable (which is sooo important).

When I checked Amazon, Enchantment was only 99 cents and it's so worth it!!!

3 comments:

  1. I've never heard of this book but the synopsis sounds really interesting. I love to hear that this was well-edited (that's the one thing that always scares me of self-published books). I'm glad that this book was worth it, your review is great and really makes me want to look more into this book! Thanks!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Andrea, I'd love to hear what you think of Enchantment! Feel free to email me at thechannieseries (at) gmail (dot) com.

      Delete
  2. Hi Danielle,

    Thanks for reviewing "Enchantment." I can't wait to hear what you think of "Empty!"

    Charlotte Abel

    ReplyDelete