Thursday, January 12, 2012

Busting the Newbie Blues



I'm participating in this year's "Busting the Newbie Blues" event put on by Small Review. Here's what Small Review has to say about this event...
Starting out as a new YA book blogger is a ton of fun. You meet a bunch of new people who all share in your passion for YA books, you become a part of a friendly community, and you're continually exposed to wonderful new books.

But sometimes things can be a little discouraging when you're just starting out. You look at your blog and then look at some of the awesome established bloggers out there and wonder if you'll ever make the grade.

So here's to Busting the Newbie Blues! Don't be discouraged. Instead, take action! Participate in my Busting the Newbie Blues event, which will run through the entire month of January!


This event is designed to:

Put new YA book bloggers on the map
Increase blogger interaction
Start a discussion by sharing our experiences as new bloggers
Learn about what it was like for established bloggers when they were newbies


So how does this work? Simple:

Be a YA book blogger (oldie or newbie) (it's okay if you review adult books as well)
Select the questionnaire that best applies to you
Create a post on your blog with the questions and your answers
Grab the button below to include in your post or sidebar
Link back to here here so more people can join in
Sign the linky list below so we can all come and visit your blog!
Spread the word!


So here's my questionnaire:

When did you start your blog?
November 30, 2011

Why did you start your blog?
Honestly, I just couldn't help myself.  I had been writing reviews on Goodreads for a while and started participating in group discussions through which I met some really great gals, many of whom are bloggers.  I toyed with the idea and kept putting it off out of insecurity.  Finally, I just couldn't resist anymore.  And I love, love, love it!!!

What has been the biggest challenge you’ve faced far?
Writing negative reviews.  Sometimes I'm just not going to love a book.  I know that.  You know that.  But authors are real people with real feelings and I would never want to discourage someone from following their passion for writing.  I'm always honest but try to be uplifting, too.

What do you find most discouraging about being a new blogger?
Computer issues.  Mainly when working with code ... which I totally don't understand.  I'm trying to add "Stalk me on Twitter, Facebook & Goodreads" buttons but am clueless!  

What do you find most encouraging?
The bloggers, readers and authors that I've met.  It's an amazingly warm, friendly community.  Everyone has been so encouraging and helpful.  I love reading everyone else's blogs and leaving comments.  Also it is such a great feeling when I review an Indie book and someone leaves a comment like "I haven't heard of this author before; their book sounds great, I'm going to check it out."

What do you like best about the blogs you read? Have you tried to replicate this in your blog?
I noticed some bloggers talk about the cover art.  I love cover art!!!  I'm an artist and (obviously) an avid reader; cover art combines two of my great loves.  I knew this was something that I wanted to do as well.

What do you dislike about blogs you’ve read? Do you try to avoid this?
I haven't seen anything that I really disliked.  I wouldn't want to read an unkind review where the review ripped a book apart, but none of the bloggers I follow are like that.

Any advice for other new bloggers?
Find supportive friends who blog or just love books.  Goodreads and RazOrbill are two sites where I've made great book friends.

Any questions you'd like to ask newbie or established bloggers?
How do I make those pesky "Stalk me on Twitter, Facebook & Goodreads" buttons?!?  And what's the one thing would you recommend I change on my blog to make it better.

Is there anything you’d like to tell us about your blog? Feel free to link a few of your favorite posts or posts you wish had more comments.
Mainly I would just like to say how much I appreciate those who visit my blog and especially when you leave comments.  I love talking books with others!!!  Also many of the books I review are Indie books and only cost a few dollars.  You should check them out ;)

Thanks for spending some time with me!!!

6 comments:

  1. It's just like the buttons you already have on your sidebar really. Save a picture of Twitter and add your link to the gadget, same with FB. Goodreads has buttons on their site for you to copy and list as html code or you could copy/paste a button and add your profile as a link. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I awarded you the Versatile blog award! http://novelnerdbailey.blogspot.com/2012/01/versatile-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Danielle! I am glad you signed up. Your little blog is growing. You will get all that code stuff down. Just keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great question, I made my button in Gimp. :)

    I like your look! I can't believe you're only 2 months old.

    Side note: I saw on Goodreads you live in Lexington. Me too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your blog! I made my button in PS but sometimes you get em for free online....I'm following :) Good thing you review Indie books! Me too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heya! Haven't been on your blog in a loong time! Email me hon and we'll create those dang buttons the easy way (:

    Ana @ BookSpark

    ReplyDelete