Monday, December 12, 2011

Richelle Mead

My main focus in blogging is to share new, less known authors.  That being said, I do read a lot of well known authors and I thought today I'd share with you one of my favorite authors, Richelle Mead.

Here's what her website says about her...

Scorpio Richelle Mead is a New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of urban fantasy books for both adults and teens.  Originally from Michigan, Richelle now lives in Seattle, Washington where she works on her three series full-time. Before becoming a writer, she considered a few different career paths. She received a liberal arts degree from the University of Michigan, an MA in Comparative Religion from Western Michigan University, and a Master in Teaching (Middle & High School English) degree from the University of Washington. In the end, she decided writing was the way for her but believes all of her education prepared her for it.
A life-long reader, Richelle has always had a particular fascination with mythology and folklore. When not writing,, she enjoys bad reality TV, traveling, trying interesting cocktails, and shopping for dresses. Lots of dresses. She is a self-professed coffee addict, fights a constant (and losing) battle with procrastination, and has a passion for all things wacky and humorous.

Her series...  Dark Swan
My hands down, yell at the top of my lungs, very favorite of her series is the Dark Swan series.  This is what her website says about the series...

Richelle's Dark Swan Series ... follows Eugenie Markham, a free-lance shaman who battles ghosts and fey that sneak into our world from the Otherworld. When an alarming prophecy suddenly makes her every Otherworldly creature's object of desire, Eugenie must dodge their advances while also fighting a dark power rising within her.

There's so much I love about this series.  First, Eugenie is a tough chick you've got to respect.  I find the whole shaman thing intriguing.  Then she is faced with some pretty startling discoveries about herself she must struggle through and grow as a character. Then there are the men Eugenie meet.  Okay, so a good love triangle is a guilty pleasure of mine.  There's Dorian, a fae king, who Eugenie finds herself working with even though she doesn't trust him at all.  There's also Kiyo (I'd be giving something away if I said exactly what he is) who has also been less than honest and his slightly over-helpfulness makes trusting him questionable.  Both men are quite yummy, but I'm very much team Dorian.  The plot of each book has so many twists and turns you'll find yourself gasping out loud.  I lost a lot of sleep getting through these books. I could not put them down.  The final book in the series is due out December 27, 2011 and will be one I immediately download and read.
A word on the cover art....
I hate these covers.  My husband makes fun of me when I read books with such tasteless covers.  These are the American covers.  I've seen the covers for other countries and they are SOOOO much better.  Why do publishers think Americans have such poor taste?  It's embarrassing.

That being said, get to reading these books so you can be ready when the 4th one comes out on the 27th (click the image to pre-order the kindle edition on amazon).


Vampire Academy
I do love the Vampire Academy series almost as much as Dark Swan.  Here's the website's synopsis:

Richelle's YA series, Vampire Academy, is published by Razorbill Books (Penguin)....  This New York Times and USA Todaybestselling series has won honors from the American Library Association and been translated into 30 languages.  It follows the war between two races of vampires, living and undead. Rose Hathaway, a 17-year old half-vampire, is training to be a bodyguard for the living vampires and finds her life complicated by the dangers that involves, as well as an illicit romance with one of her teachers.

Richelle Mead writes her characters so well that they feel real.  Rose is a fabulous character.  She is loyal, reckless, impatient and smart; she is so flawed but still so likable.  She is surrounded by characters that are as complex and well written as she is.  Dimitri is a mystery.  I'd love to read this story written from his perspective.  Rose and Dimitri's love is one of those epic romances that people will reference 100 years from now.  Each of the 6 books in this series has amazing action and mystery.  One of the books I cried through a good part of it.  I usually hate things that make me cry.  But by that point in the series I was so emotionally invested in the characters I didn't resent all the tears.

Cover art talk...
I'm pretty ho-hum about the covers for this series.  Nothing about the covers or even the book titles really grabbed me.  I'm pretty sure the series was recommended to me, otherwise, I'm not sure I would have read this series.  I'm so thankful for that recommendation!!! 

Bloodlines
This is a spin-off series of Vampire Academy with a total of 6 books planned.  Only the first book is out .  Here's the Goodreads description:

      When alchemist Sydney is ordered into hiding to protect the life of Moroi princess Jill Dragomir, the last place she expects to be sent is a human private school in Palm Springs, California. But at their new school, the drama is only just beginning. 
     Populated with new faces as well as familiar ones, Bloodlines explores all the frieinndship, romance, battles and betrayals that made the #1 New York Times bestselling Vampire Academy series so addictive - this time in a part-vampire, part-human setting where the stakes are even higher and everyone's out for blood. 

I found this first book to be an excellent start to this new series.  I was really excited to see that Richelle Mead is not finished with the Vampire Academy world.  There's an action-packed mystery and some major chemistry.  I'm eager to find out what will happen next.

Cover Art:  These covers are a little better.  I liked seeing Sydney's tattoo, about which I had often wondered and I love the stylized vines that grow from the title.  It was a good idea to mimic the style of the Vampire Academy books.


Georgina Kincaid

This is another of her adult urban fantasy series.  I have only read the first book of the six in this series.  It was very good though I did have trouble getting into the premise of it.  I do hope to read the rest of  them at some point.  Richelle Mead's website describes the series as:

The Georgina Kincaid Series tell the humorous and heart-breaking story of a reluctant succubus who can't touch the man she loves without dire side effects. On top of that, she must deal with Hell's middle management team and the many supernatural threats that come her way.

This is what I said on my Goodreads review back in May of 2010:

This was a real surpirse for me. Its not a book I would've picked up on my own, but it was recommended to me. I found the plot fun and inventive with some good twists. Richelle Mead seems to have a gift for likeable, yet broken, characters.

I do like the covers done in the style shown here.  The mass paperback cover is a bit trashy, but this one is interesting and reflects the book well.


2 comments:

  1. Great post. I am a huge fan of hers. I like both her YA's and her adult books. I was worried that Bloodlines wouldn't live up to my love for Rose in VA but I cannot wait to read more about Adrian!
    *Kristin*
    Book Sniffers Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! I love that you took the time to spotlight one of your favorite authors and tell us more about her! Woo-hoo!

    Ana @ BookSpark

    ReplyDelete