Friday, December 2, 2011

Masquerade by Cambria Hebert

***To Be Released December 16th***

Before. Everything was so much better Before. I wasn’t haunted by nightmares, my place at school was secure and my face was flawless. Now, I’m a freak and everything has changed. The worst part is that I can’t remember the night I was sentenced to the shadows. The memory has been stolen from me and I just can’t shake the feeling that someone, something is out there -watching. 

Just when I think I have my life handled, Sam, with his intimidating golden stare and shiver inducing voice, makes me realize that I don’t know anything. He makes me see that my scars don’t matter. That they never mattered. I can’t help but fall for him, completely unknowing that he knows exactly how I got this way. Not knowing he was involved. 

--------

Heven has no idea how closely death stalks her. She has no idea what I have done to keep her alive. I fear the day she learns my secrets, finds out what I really am. But even then I cannot stop, I vow to make things right. Finally her hunter will be hunted, Heaven and Hell, faith and sin will battle, and we will be victorious. But first, Heven must learn to be what she never imagined. I know her strength is there – I feel it. If we are to overcome all odds, she must push past her flaws - her frailties - to become much more.

Genre:  Young Adult Fantasy

Rating: * * * * *

My Review:


This is an amazing and thought-provoking book.  I've mentioned before that Hebert's style of writing takes you deep inside the story until you are touching, smelling and experiencing everything along with the characters.  This is no less true for Masquerade than her other works.  The author very successfully uses a continuously changing pov that allows the reader to see the inner thoughts of Heven, Sam and the mysterious Hate and Hope characters.


There are so many plot twists and mysteries in this book.  You question what exactly Sam is; you think you figured it out; you then realize you were wrong.  You ponder who the Hate and the Hope are; being this is a  series, you don't get all of the answers regarding one of these characters, but you do get the satisfaction of knowing more about the other.  So much happens in this book, it leaves your head spinning.

What I loved best about this book was how each character grew and developed throughout.  I believe Heven's development to be the main theme of the book.  You're sympathetic to Heven's pain and anxiety in the beginning and you cheer her on as she gets past some of that.  You are indignant for her at points.  You roll your eyes at her when she does something foolish, but it only makes her feel more real.  By the end you are proud of her.


I do have a few complaints.  Waiting for the final confrontation with the Hate drug on some.  I was a bit disappointed how that conflict took place as the author has Heven put herself in a vulnerable situation yet again.  Then after this conflict is resolved, so much more happens that the book doesn't really wind down to a conclusion as much as it just stops.


Even with my couple of concerns, the story is so incredibly good that I cannot give this book less than 5 stars.  You simply MUST read this book!!!




Cover Art:


I did find out that Regina Wamba of Mae I Design has designed all three of Cambria Hebert's book covers.  I am officially a fan.  This is such a beautiful cover!  Although I'm not much of a glitter girl myself, the glittery lips with the eye lashes are so WOW.  Also, I love how the glitter lip gloss ties into something in the story.  Sometimes cover designs go overboard with trying to bring in a bunch of elements from the story and the cover ends up looking cluttered.  That doesn't happen here at all.  Then only thing I might have changed would be that the author's name is a bit hard to read.


***Crazy Important News***

Cambria Hebert is on tour and will be joining us 
December 9th for an interview and a giveaway!!!!

Click Here for more info on the blog tour.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Look at you blog up and running quality reviews blog buttons tour participant! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic review! I love it! Thank you so much for taking time to read and write a review for my book!!! Woot Woot.

    ReplyDelete