Friday, December 23, 2011

Darkness & Light and Fated Encounter by J. A. Belfield

by J. A. Belfield 
Goodreads Description:

Jem Stonehouse, a housewife with a neurotic husband bent on keeping her in line, dreams about werewolves in, what she believes, is a bid to escape boredom.

Sean Holloway is a werewolf, living a charade within the human race, whose mind drifts to a bond he shares with a woman he hasn't met--at least, not in this lifetime.

Apart, the two are safe but live unfulfilled lives.

Together, they'll become prey to rival packs just as they have been for hundreds of years.

When their worlds collide, and not for the first time, instinct takes over. Dreams become reality. Futures are uncertain. To keep history from repeating itself, Sean must teach Jem about his heritage, convince her of her role, and win her love.

Can Jem accept her destiny before it's too late, or is her inner wolf buried too deep to save her future with Sean?

Genre:  Paranormal Romance

Rating:  * * * *

My Review:

I loved this story.

Honestly, I was a bit leary when I realized Jem was already married when she meets her soul mate. Being a happily married girl, I would have a hard time accepting the idea of her leaving her husband for another man, but Belfield does a great job of making Peter, the husband in question, horrible enough that merits Jem leaving him with or without Sean in her life.

Jem really grows and develops as the novel progresses. The Holloway pack loves and nurtures Jem, allowing her to discover her true self. Their support allows these changes, which do occur rather quickly, to seem natural.

There's a couple of times when I found myself thinking, "wouldn't it have made more sense if Jem just...." I can't really call these story flaws as there's many times when I actually do do something that doesn't make the most sense.

I loved Jem and how her pack cherishes her. I liked Sean, but his character felt slightly flat to me. I plan on reading "Fated Encounter" which reads from Sean's point of view. I think that will help me connect more with Sean.

Overall great story of which I can't wait to read more.

Cover Art:
I love this cover.  It's perfectly reflects the book and it's an amazing piece of art.  It's the kind of thing I would want as a tattoo.

by J. A. Belfield

Goodreads Description:

One glimpse. That scent. There. Right there. Could it be … her?

The female within Sean Holloway’s dreams is real, and he intends to see her face even if it means hiding behind a women’s lingerie rack to do it.

With curiosity burning too hot for him to ignore, Sean turns an ordinary family errand into the chance of a lifetime only to be interrupted time and again.

In this companion piece to Darkness & Light, see Jem the way Sean saw her for the very first time.

Just how close is Sean willing to get before he’ll take fate into his own hands?

Enough to make the impossible come true … maybe.

Rating:  * * * *

My Review:

This was so sweet!!! Definitely something to read after, not before, "Darkness & Light." In my review of "Darkness & Light," I had mentioned how I hoped "Fated Encounter" would help me connect with Sean better. It absolutely did. I just wish there was more, lots more.

Cover Art:
I wish they would have stayed with the black and white graphic feel of the first book's cover.   This one's nice, but keeping an on-going theme within a series tells potential readers that these books belong together.

No comments:

Post a Comment